In June 2013 Pomeranian University in Słupsk adopted a new strategy for the period 2013-2020, which includes development of strategic objectives of international cooperation.
The strategy includes the following strategic and operational objectives:
1. Strengthening academic character:
- Developing cooperation with other domestic and foreign scientific institutions (universities), as well as cultural, educational, administrative, economic, health, environmental protection institutions, and others in order to carry out the mission of the University.
2. Improvement of educational conditions:
- Developing inter-university and international academic staff mobility
- Employing a broader range of visiting professors, both Polish and foreign ones
- Developing student exchanges organized within the framework of international programmes and bilateral agreements
In the strategic document for the period 2013-2020, internationalization process is included in three strategic objectives, depending on the target group. The operational objective “internationalization of the education process” was introduced to the strategic objective of “high level of education”. Its aim is a potential increase in mobilities and exchanges within the framework of European programmes, an attempt to raise external funds under various programmes (e.g. Norwegian funds, the Visegrad Group, Tempus program) and analysis of bilateral agreements signed with Eastern European partners and the extension of cooperation including long-term student exchanges (min. 1 semester) as well as joint obtainment of a double diploma. Under the short- and long-term exchanges there are planned and carried out language courses, cultural presentations and sightseeing tours in order to gain knowledge about our country and culture of the mobility participants.
3. Strengthening the research potential:
The university aims to increase:
- the number of researcher mobility
- exchange of experience with European units
- employment rate of foreign researchers at the University
- the implementation of joint interdisciplinary research and development project
4. Development of cooperation with the Surrounding:
- extension of cooperation with scientific and economic centres both in the country and abroad. The main aim of the task is to undertake joint research for the purpose of scientific and economic development
The mission of the University also includes provision about the University as a scientific and research as well as a teaching institution, which in relation to its geographical location in the centre of Europe and by the Baltic Sea shall cooperate with member countries of the European Union, of which we are a member. Meanwhile, we are coming forward to meet the Eastern Europe, whose scientific institutions make use of experience of the University, within the framework of e.g. the Bologna System and scientific projects. The contacts with the East also result from a long-term tradition
of our University, which educated on Eastern Slavonic philologies.
The expected impact of Pomeranian University in Słupsk participation in the Erasmus plus programme on the modernization of the Institution:
Broadly defined international cooperation both in terms of scientific research and implementation
of educational process is such an important factor in development of the University that it has been included in three of four strategic objectives in the University strategy for 2013-2020. The internationalization of research programmes carried out by our staff member or undertaken under new contacts will certainly contribute to the exchange of experience in various areas of science, which ought to result in their dynamic development. At the same time, an increase in student and doctoral student mobility will allow us and our partner universities to extend subject-matter knowledge under implemented study programmes and to increase its quality. It will also allow an acquisition of knowledge about customs, traditions and cultural diversity of European countries. What is more, the institution implementing a wide range of international cooperation increases its prestige in the field of science. It should be also added that development in the above mentioned areas is important for the development of business sector- in the region, country and in Europe, because only cooperation, exchange of experience and implementation of scientific and economic ventures stabilize and enhance development of all cooperating units.